April 19, 2009

It's fun and tough...

Yesterday finally I scooped up some courage and went to my first Spindle class ever. There is a yarn/wool specialty store in a bit suburban part of Tokyo. (I didn't took photos of the interior, which is like "your fantasy come true" place for a yarnie)
I was surprised that Spindle is actually just a stick and some piece of wood - looks like a toy. How can you make yarn out of wool fibers with this stick? The process is amazing, you just spin the stick and the fiber get twisted... This is my first work. Ooops, kind of messy.


But it's soooo much fun! The lady at the store stood beside me almost the whole time, and added some silk or tiny wool pieces to the fiber, so that I can experiment with different texture.

 

 

 

 

 
This is the Spindle - actually it is pretty nice. (and the magazine is the latest edition of American GQ, which, of course, I bought for Rob Pattinson was on the cover)


 

 

 

 

 

 
So, after the class, I bought some more fiber (Romney in medium brown, VERY PRETTY!) and started to practice on my own. This took a few hours of my labour... OK, I know, it's surely efficient to just buy yarn than make your own. But it's fun, fun, fun, and so addictive!

I heard that you've got to twist 2 threads of yarn together, and steam or boil to make it stable.
Oh, the reason I wrote "tough" is because I already have some shoulder pain from spinning the stick too much...

 

 

Another thing - a shawl I just finished knitting. I may post more photos later. We'll see.



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Also in Kichijoji (Tokyo) - a super neat cafe right in front of the yarn / fiber shop. This cafe totally made me decide to move into this neighborhood! Mind blowingly cute!

[caption id="attachment_490" align="alignleft" width="225" caption="Cafe in Kichijoji"]Cafe in Kichijoji[/caption]

_0014179_0014186

No comments: