December 18, 2010

Swan Lake


Day 2, in Kawayu Onsen hot spring area.  Yesterday it was sunny, but it started to snow this morning, while I was in a hot spring before breakfast.

Kussharo Lake nearby is famous for traveling swans in this season.  The owner of my B&B told me that this area is famous among nature photographers, that the swans are really white.  Because of the warm lake water, they stay in water all the time, and people feed them there, so they won't get dirty walking around the fields and dirt.  Imagine, swans stay in hot spring and be fed all through winter.  Lovely.

川湯温泉に一泊しています。昨晩とは一変して、朝から雪がちらつき、本降りになりました。屈斜路湖の砂湯付近には白鳥が沢山湯治をしています。この辺りの白鳥は餌を探しに畑の方まで行くことがないので、真っ白で、写真家の間では有名だそうです。
冬の間中温泉に浸かって餌を貰うなんて、白鳥にとって極楽なかんじですね。

2 comments:

IndianInWarsaw said...

I could feel blessed again if I could see these swans together, true bliss Meri!!! Post more.

Meri said...

Thanks, Ruchir! I took lords of photos but my last hotel did not have an Internet connection. Please check back again soon.