August 15, 2010

Summer

I went back to my parent' place for my 3 days weekend / summer vacation, and spent a very crafty weekend! I picked the easiest pattern out of my favorite dress-making book - ソーイング・トーク.
The fabric is from Kamakura Swany: http://swany.jp/  They have great selection of fine quality fabric, and most of them are pretty inexpensive.


It's cut biased, so even the fabric is cotton/linen, the dress is pretty stretchy.   
I lined neck and arm holes with biased tape (or whatever called in English...).  I did it for the first time in almost 20 years, so it was quite a work.  I used to make my own clothes when I was in high school, but haven't done it ever since.


 Not sure if people do this in other countries, but my mom taught me how to mark the lines with threads and stitches, like this. The dress fits me perfectly!  Although the dress is very simple, it took me a full day.... phew.


With a small piece of soft gauze (double sided, one side stripes, the other side plaid), I made a simple  scarf for summer.  I cut up 100cm x 50cm fabric into 4 pieces, sew them back together in 25 x 200cm scarf.  My mom gave me a ribbon to hide where I joined the pieces, and when I looked closer, the ribbon says "Wedgewood"!  But I used it anyway.


No comments: