November 06, 2011

Comfort Knitting


I am a scarf knitter these days.  I haven't knitted a single sweater since September, even though the weather is becoming wooly week by week.  Sweater knitting requires a strong will, good memory, persistence, and a lot of time.  Not for me, right now.

But what I can tell you is that I am a better knitter these days.  I can't say since when, but I became comfortable knitting something without a pattern, like, just pick a good yarn and swatch and calculate and start knitting.  This is really new to me.

This feeling of discovery is kind of like when I was still studying English.  Learning something is like climbing giant steps.  You try and try and try, then one day you find yourself on top of the giant step that you were trying to climb.  But there is another step in front of you.

A bulky snood, just completed.

No comments: