May 31, 2009

Spinning Wheel

Arrived on Friday night.  My newest room mate.  The box was so huge, and I am sure the delivery guy looked smug and suppressing a laugh.  

I chose the most basic type, a spinning wheel called Traditional made by Ashford in New Zealand.  At first I was planning to buy one that is narrower and takes less space, but when I tried it I didn't like it that much.  It's unfinished wood so I am going to have to finish the surface with oil, but it's ok, for  I did not like the lacquered  wood either.

The bottom photo is the first skein I made with this wheel!

 

_0014260

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

_0014257

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

_0014269

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

_0014270

2 comments:

Alex said...

Congrats on your first skein!
I want to learn spinning too but will try on a spindle first. Where did you try out the different wheels?

Meri said...

Thanks! Yeah, there is a fiber shop called "Ananda" in Kichijoji. There I took a spindle class first, and then a few spinning lessons. They only have Ashford wheels, but you can try out different types. I checked other manufacturers' wheels on the Internet, but others are much more expensive and/or they don't stock them in Japan. Let me know if you need more info! :)